SD-WAN

• 1.  Loadbalancing in 128T

Posted 11-21-2019 07:07
    Hi All, 

I have a question around loadbalancing;

In our scenario, we have a spoke site connecting to a hub site. The hub site has a single internet link, and the spoke has a broadband and LTE service connecting to the hub site. 

Our requirement is that the LTE only be used when the fibre is down, now I can facilitate that with revertible failover and by disabling the path quality filter flag. But how do I stop the LTE from being utilised when load balancing? 

During times of high throughput, it seems that the router is putting traffic on the LTE link, where it should only be on fibre except under failure conditions. When I look into the lb-strategy of the service-policy, my only two options are hunt and proportional. How do I turn off load balancing but retain the revertible failover functionality?- I can see a use case for increasing the transmission capacity of the fibre to above what the line is shaped too, but they QOS will not work properly, which is a bigger problem.

Regards,

------------------------------
    Morne Vermeulen
    Core Engineer
    +27 (0) 10 141 8512

• 2.  RE: Loadbalancing in 128T

Posted 11-22-2019 10:40
    Hi Morne,

hope you fixed your issue meanwhile.

I was in the same situation and vectors did the trick for me. I just followed this document:
    https://community.128technology.com/viewdocument/how-to-path-selection-using-vectors-1522704312246?CommunityKey=f11e2564-f5b4-4194-9ffc-a3a200348e8f&tab=librarydocuments

HTH,

K.

• 3.  RE: Loadbalancing in 128T

Posted 11-22-2019 13:09

Hey @Morne!

@Karsten Hecker, you beat me to it!

Vectors is what you want to use in this case. 

Before I get into the details on how to use vectors, let me attempt to answer some of your first doubts. You are correct that you need to either select hunt or proportional in the lb-strategy of the service-policy. However, you can ignore that value if you don't have any Service Route Policies set up. 

Now, how to use vectors. On the network-interfaces, you will want to edit the neighborhoods and add a vector label. For example, you could call one "fibre" and the other "LTE." Then, go to that Service Policy where you set the Session Resiliency to "revertible failover" and add the 2 vectors. Here you will set a priority, lower is preferred. So set "fibre" to 1 and "LTE" to 100 (or something like that).  Lastly, make sure that this Service Policy is set on all of your Services that will be traversing these interfaces. 

You can verify that you set correct priorities and Service Policies by issuing the command:

show load-balancer router <router_name> <service_name>

Let me know if anything doesn't make sense.

Thanks,
    Justin

Justin Melloni
    Technical Trainer
    MA