SD-WAN

Expand all | Collapse all

The gap between the throughput of traffic generator like iperf and the throughput of conductor

• 1.  The gap between the throughput of traffic generator like iperf and the throughput of conductor

Posted 08-08-2019 04:06
    Hi, All

I am using the iperf traffic generator for TCP throughput testing. 

The command of the iperf is as below.
    • Client : iperf3 -c 10.0.0.4 -t 1000 -b 300M 
    • Server : iperf3 -s -V

There is no problem on both iperf client and server and I have verifed that the throughput is about 300Mbps on iperf.
    But there is the gap between the throughput of iperf and the throughput of conductor.

When I check the throughput on conductor, it is about 320Mbps. This is more about 20Mbps than sending traffic from iperf traffic generator.

Is it normal or abnormal?

For your reference, I attached GUI screen of conductor and iperf.

Thanks.
    Sangjun

------------------------------
    Sangjun Bae
    Seoul
    +82-2-3469-2944

• 2.  RE: The gap between the throughput of traffic generator like iperf and the throughput of conductor

Posted 08-09-2019 18:22

Just a guess, but conductor is probably reporting the maximum bandwidth over a given interval, not the average.

I can see in your screenshots that there is quite a bit of variation in the reported bandwidth from iperf, one sample reported as high as 324Mbit/s.
    If that's the case, then the bandwidth reported by conductor would seem to be quite accurate.

Ryan Sitzman
    Sales Engineer
    Burlington MA