SD-WAN

• 1.  Questions

Posted 11-15-2019 00:57
    I have a few questions. I have been through the '128T baptism of fire' the past few days so its time to ask a few questions.

1. How do you define 'Zero Touch Provisioning'?

I have been doing so much router 'touching' lately I would likely get arrested in most countries. To get a router to play ball with the conductor requires quite a few steps at least from the engineers point of view. The device to-be-shipped needs to be ready to hit the ground running, it then needs to be synced to the conductor. I am not sure I am following the latest instructions I want to confirm that. There's a myriad of instructions on the 128T website, some perhaps out of date, and quite complex.  Its not a case I believe from what I have experienced of the router ( with just an IP address) finding home and then pulling a config down from the conductor, I could be wrong but a confirmation is needed on the latest methods in case I am behind the latest best practice. I realize its not an embedded device, but I am measuring the gap between where we are and where we would like to be.

2. 'dummy-router'

I am not sure who the dummy is here but I am sure its me today. I cannot get rid of 'dummy-router' or 'dummy-node' out of the PCLI router name i.e admin@dummy-node.dummy-router. I had a bit more control on non-conductor managed units in bending it to my will. On a router assigned to a potential conductor as named in the setup, I changed the router and node names on the GUI locally and deleted the router names 'dummy-router' from the config and it stuck on the GUI but on the PCLI it's still there. Rebooting does not work. I would not like it if I logged into a unit via SSH to find out it has the same name on the PCLI as a dozen other routers. That would get confusing (for a dummy). Any ideas?

Stephen

------------------------------
    Stephen Lilley

• 2.  RE: Questions

Posted 11-15-2019 13:10
    @James Silvia and @Dillon - can either of you help with the questions above?

Victoria

• 3.  RE: Questions

Posted 11-15-2019 13:30
    Hi Stephen,

What version of software are you testing with? In 4.2 we are significantly improving the Provisioning of 128T Routers through the use of a Quickstart file. Simply put, its an out-of-band delivery of the 128T configuration from the Conductor to the 128T Node using an encrypted file.

This is aptly named the one-touch provisioning procedure.

To make use of the zero-touch provisioning -- the platform can be imaged with the Quickstart file such that on first boot the configuration is applied.

Both of these procedures require the use of the 128T OTP-ISO for imaging a device. How you are installing the software currently?

I can point you to a document that discusses the OTP-ISO more. Just let me know.

James.

James Silvia
    Software Engineer
    MA

• 4.  RE: Questions

Posted 11-17-2019 17:49
    Thanks James,

As of when I started this process it is 4.1.5 I am using. I will look at the OTP-ISO business for 4.2 and test. I figured it would be something like this. I guess you are hand tied to an extent because the devices are not embedded at source there has to be some intervention. I am hearing 'Arrow' may ship usable devices for 128T pre-configured. 

Stephen

Stephen Lilley

• 5.  RE: Questions

Posted 11-19-2019 11:15
    Just a follow-up, @Stephen Lilley -- making sure you saw the document @James Silvia referenced above: https://community.128technology.com/viewdocument/guide-128t-provisioning?CommunityKey=db47b751-299b-4fb9-8859-a7bf877ed8d8&tab=librarydocuments. ​​

Victoria